Monday, 9 September 2013

Thoughts on 'Exit Through The Gift Shop'


I didn’t know how to feel about ‘Exit Through The Gift Shop’. Being a person who is passionate about art I was a little unsettled and began to question everything I think about art.

At the beginning of the documentary, the audience are introduced to a man named Thierry Guetta who is a film maker and documents moments in life that will never be looked at the same again, like his child’s birthday, a laugh or cry. This I admire. He captures moments of awe in his life; art. He then goes on to document the ‘behind the scenes’ works of street artists, claiming to be creating a documentary. He then does nothing with tapes, without a thought to look at them again. When it comes down to the biggest names in street art, Banksy, Thierry is star struck and does everything for him. When he was asked when the documentary would be finished, he panicked and threw together a disaster. Banksy told him to go and “create (his) own art”. Thierry took this as become a street artist.

He called himself “Mr. Brainwash”. All of his art was copied and mutated existing art. Using quotes about his debut show from Bansky and other big name artists, Thierry had created a over the top show with typical street art that had been taken and changed. Banksy took this as an insult to the name of street art, where Thierry had broken all the rules and taken no note of procedure as many other artists have had a journey through. However, Banksy, confused says “there are no rules in street art”.

Later after discussing the documentary with other students, I came to learn that Thierry was just a character, Mr. Brainwash was just a character; characters Banksy had created for the documentary. I questioned what this tells me about Art. That its essentially a joke? That anything can be art, we are told what to like, what to think; anyone can produce art, art is becoming copies, the same, uncreative. I derived that Banksy is outlining a problem in the art world. I took it as a message that new and modern art is all beginning to look the same and originality and creativity is becoming a rarity. Creativity is too much of an effort for people who want recognition fast. Anything new and different will be tossed to the side years before people are able to tilt their heads to the side and recognize the beauty of it.

And I look around and see this even in my world. Banksy has it correct.


No comments:

Post a Comment